Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Scream, You Scream...

 I think I have mentioned that we are going through a bit of a heat wave here.  It breaks 90 each and every day, which doesn't seem like a lot when 100 and humid are were the norm growing up, but when there is no breeze and no air conditioning to be found, it is hot.  So we have been trying to keep cool as best we can.  Our pool is our usual go to, but right now it is being shocked back into health after contracting a fungus so I had to come up with something else.  And this really didn't help.  So we made ice cream!

Not much to it actually.  I improvised a bit since we didn't have any half and half but we did have crema espesa (a type of heavy cream) and I thought that would do.  I gathered ingredients, I gathered some measuring tools and I sat the girls down.

I measured.  They poured.







 And then I told them to put the small bag of cream, vanilla and sugar into the bag filled with ice and salt.  After it was tightly zipped, of course.  They didn't think I was serious.  And even as Stinkerbell was doing as I asked, she looked like she didn't believe that this was right. 





 I zipped the bags, handed one to each girl and told them to go wild.  They were pretty tame at first.  But when I showed them what I meant by shaking the bags, they really got into it.  So much so that MadHatter actually split her outer bag and we had to get a new one.  










 It took a couple of minutes of shaking.  I think it took a lot less than normal because we started with a heavier (and much thicker) cream.  But what we got in the end really looked like ice cream...


 Now, I just had to hope it tasted like it because I promised the girls home made ice cream.




And her verdict was...

Awesome!  And she was so proud that she made it all by herself!


The picky one took a moment to decide but then I couldn't get a picture of her smiling at me to give me her verdict because she just kept shoveling it in...


 I broke out the Magic Shell and made it a real treat.  


I think we found a new treat.  And we beat the heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment