Thursday, February 14, 2013

Have a Little Faith

My valentine (and he just cringed and I LOVE it) -

We have been through so much in the past 10 years.  So much.  A lot of it was good.  A lot.  It's been a fabulous ten years. Exciting and Fun.  But not all of it.  We have had our share of hard times.  More than some people ever deal with in a lifetime, less than some deal with in a day.  But I guess I don't worry about what others have been through as much as I worry about us.  How we are weathering the storms that keep blowing through our lives?  Because what matters to me is how we are staying afloat.  How we are coping and dealing and living.  It's all about us.  I'm selfish that way.  And I won't apologize for it.   We learned early on in our relationship that it has to be about us, the life we are leading, the decisions we are making, the beliefs that we hold dear.  This is our journey...ours alone.

And what a journey it has been!

We took our wedding vows in a small church on a snowy New Years Eve.  At that point they almost seemed redundant.  For in the first three years we had already been tested.  We had shared our lives through good times and, not bad, but difficult.  We had so many moments where we could have just given up.  And didn't.   And then, only then, we took those vows, chuckling a bit, because we thought we had seen it all in out time together... Naivete at it's best.  Because fate stepped in.  And it got tough.  In the first 2 years we lived through sicknesses that had no business being in our young lives and, finally, we rejoiced in our health.  We became  richer, but not before we became poorer. We had the best of times and yet, we experienced loss like others just couldn't fathom.  We comforted.  We were comforted.    We forsake all others and turned inward to heal.  But through it all, the part I remember most of all, was that we were loved.  By our families, that never let us down and didn't let us sink into the abyss.  By our friends, who were always there by our sides.  By each other.   Forsaking all others.  It was we who made it.  We who struggled.  We who fought.  And then we fought our way back.  We lived.  We mourned.  We laughed.  And we shed more than our share of tears.  But through it all, what I remember most, is that we loved.

In the end, I hope that is all that I remember.

This Valentine's day, a day we do not celebrate, I celebrate you.  For having so much faith in me.  In us.  In our family.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

I. Love. You.


No comments:

Post a Comment