Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Baby Photo Session

Almost 5 years ago, I was gifted my first DSLR.  I was in heaven but didn't really know how to use it.  For that first year or two, it just took pictures on full auto.  Basically rendering it an expensive Point and Shoot.  One that takes great pictures, but I was not using it to it's full advantage.  But, I also had two children under the age of two, time was not on my side to learn the ins and outs of this thing.

We moved to Chile a short while later and I found I had a bit more time.  MadHatter was in pre-school in the mornings and I could spend an hour or so each day learning all about aperture, shutter speed and ISO.  But nothing takes the place of practice, so Stinkerbell became my guinea pig and I taught myself a thing or two about photography.

And then my camera died.  RIP.  And I took the chance to upgrade.  Both my camera and my lenses.  I know it isn't all about the equipment, it's mostly about the artistic side of things and knowing how to set even the simplest of point and shoot cameras to get the best pictures.  But it is somewhat about the equipment.  As long as you know how to use it.  I didn't upgrade my things until I knew I could justify the expense.  Which meant that I knew how to use it correctly.  And, even then, I didn't go with the camera I really wanted because unless I was going to get paid for shooting with it, it just didn't make sense.

Now, I have the equipment I have coveted for a while and I have been having a blast.  I ask anyone, everyone I can if I can take their picture.   Invite me over for brunch, you will have it all documented.  Pool party, dinner, drinks.  It will be well documented.  Down to the last detail.  Lucky for me, I have very understanding friends.  Practice makes perfect you know.  And I am still by far not perfect, but I can usually take a picture or two that my friends end up with for their albums.

Then, about 3 weeks ago a really good friend of mine had her second baby girl.  She asked me if I would mind coming to the hospital to take some pictures of Baby E's first day and then come by the house and take some baby pictures.  Would I mind?  I would love it.  I immediatley said yes.  And then thought, Oh No.  What had I gotten myself into?  I was going to take the very first pictures she would have of her newborn.  The ones that catch one of the most important and special times in our lives as parents.  I was just a bit worried because it is not something I had ever done before and I didn't want to screw it up.  I don't think my friend had any expectations.  I did.

I snapped a few in both the hospital and then at her home a few days later.  I don't have any baby props or anything so she and I made due with what we had on hand.  Baby E was super cooperative by sleeping soundly through the entire session.  I snapped in a couple of location and was just hoping that something would turn out and my friend would have at least one shot that she could hang on her walls.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I got home.  I weeded through the shots, picked out some of my favorites first and then sent them off.   Hoping that she would agree that there was something usable in there.  She loved them (thank goodness).  And I was happy to help.

Below - a small sampling of my favorites from the day.  Please forgive that they are all edited in different ways.  I have just opened my copy of Photoshop (had for 2 years and not once used!) and am learning how to use it.  I am working on different styles of editing photos and that means that I didn't stick with just one.  Just goes to show you how much you can do to change the feel of a picture by just changing the color tones. I tried not to go overboard, and I may hate the tones I used in years to come, but I have the originals safe and sound.  I'm starting from square one again on this post processing thing...hope you enjoy some of the shots of Baby E.

Waiting for her sister to come visit for the first time
Checking out her new little sister before meeting her.

First looks
Beautiful Mama and Baby
Sweetness
A vintage hued one...







 Couldn't decide whether I liked it in B&W or color better.

I love this picture, just not sure I love how washed out it is - pretty much straight out of the camera...
I like this look now, but will it be dated in the future?  Still, that is one cute baby!

And yes, she just happened to have this tiny doll bed laying around.  Mattress and all.
And finally, one with my MadHatter, who couldn't understand why should couldn't be in any of the pictures.

















No comments:

Post a Comment