Monday, January 2, 2012

Well, Hello 2012

The beginning of another year.  It always signals a new start, a promise of good things to come.  Oh, I know you can start over any day you want.  You can decide to begin again mid-August if it suits you.  But there is just something so arresting and final about December 31.  It's the day we have a built in do-over button just waiting to be pushed.  And all of us, whatever religion, race or creed we happen to be, must participate together.  There is no stopping Father Time from turning over the hourglass on another year.  And just before the last sands fall through the hour glass on the year past, I tend to stop, if only for a moment, to take stock of my life.  I seem to slow down a bit (it could also be the food coma from Christmas last week slowing me a bit too) and reflect on where I have been, where I am right now and where I would like to be this time next year.  The future is still all possibilities and dreams.   No resolutions have yet been broken, no disappointments have tarnished us and the calendar tells us that we have a full 365 days (366 this year) to do with what we will.  Who wouldn't love that?

This year I haven't spent as much time as usual thinking about year end and what transpired in 2011.  Mostly because this past week has been such a whirlwind.  Partly because this year was extraordinary in so many ways (up, down and inside out).  But what I know for sure just off the top of my head is that the good outweighed the trying, so I consider it a success.  My family is healthy, we are happy and we are together...can I ask for more than that?  I really don't want to tempt fate by trying.  So I haven't made any resolutions for the new year.  That doesn't mean I don't have goals, but I realized that in years past, most of my resolutions were ego driven.  I resolve to lose ten pounds...I could say it is to be healthier but we all know that what I really want is to be thinner.  I resolve to exercise more - again, healthy is just a by product.  This one allows me to eat what I want and wants are driven by the ego.  Be a better person...again, who judges better?  Me, you, my family?  So, this year I am making no promises on getting fitter, richer, thinner, more worldly.  I am just setting short, attainable goals.  Some are a stretch, some quite simple.  And they are for me. And me alone.  I will not publish them, I will not pat myself on the back when I accomplish them, and I will not berate myself publicly for failing to complete them.  I will simply work constantly and consistently towards accomplishing what I have set out to do.  No ego.  No ulterior motives.  No continuing just because I told others I would and now can't back out.  I will work, I will reassess and I will make myself proud.

So, whatever goals or resolutions you have set for yourself in the new year, I hope you accomplish them.  If you come close, I applaud your efforts.  If you decide they are not for you any longer somewhere mid-year, I celebrate the self-awareness you have acquired to understand this.  And when you succeed, I hope you hear me cheering loudly, for I know you will have worked hard and that deserves a cheer if anything does.

Hello 2012!  It is nice to meet you.  I think you and I will be getting along just fine...


No comments:

Post a Comment