Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Lodge and Spa at Puyuhuapi


We spent two full days here at the Lodge in Puyuhuapi.  I would say relaxing days but then I would have to leave out the 3 hour hike we did to see the hanging glacier.  Can't miss that.  So, it may not have been all relaxing but it was all stunning.  We spent two days doing nothing but hiking, eating, swimming and exploring this beautiful lodge.  The first morning we took a one hour hike and took the girls with us.  MadHatter was truly in her element and loved charging ahead on the path so she could be the first to see something and then show it to the rest of us.  The tour guide in front, was delighted to tell her all about the things she saw, picked up and pointed out.  Stinkerbell on the other hand, walked about 10 steps, decided that this was not for her and promptly was picked up and later fell asleep.  Can you see which one I will take camping and which one will stay at the Hilton with her Papa? (and thanks for some of the pictures Grampa and Spike).




 Ready to head up the trails...





The worlds largest Moss.  This is one piece, and isn't even the biggest of them.





We had worked up quite an appetite so we headed back to civilization (can you call it that???) and had some lunch.  I must say, the food was capital A, Amazing.  The selections were not always up to my liking since I can be a bit finicky about some things - like seafood.  And they served a lot of seafood.  But I never went hungry and even if I didn't like one of the courses, I could always have more free wine.  The flavors, the presentation, the quantities - all perfect.  I only took two pictures so this was my lunch that day (with a fabulous Suspiro de LimeƱa for dessert. (Translated - the sigh of a woman from Lima.  It's a Peruvian dessert.  But it does make you sigh with it's goodness.  Or perhaps you sigh because you just ate all those calories.  Either one.)
A stuffed artichoke heart
My pot roast.  The sauce was heavenly.

Fortified - and with a couple of hours to kill before the boat/bus left for our next hike, I thought I would wander the grounds of the lodge a bit and just relax.  There was a 4 1/2 hour adventure ahead of me, I thought it best to stay out of trouble. Plus the girls were asleep (and so was their Papa).













 And, now you can go take a break from my pictures.  Stretch a bit and then come back.  Because all I have is more pictures.  I could tell you about the 10 minute boat ride, the 20 minute bus ride and the 2 hour hike to get to the hanging glacier but that would be a lot like yesterday (minus the hike).  Let's just stay it took our breath away - literally.  It was a long hike but worth it in the end.  This glacier is truly just hanging off the top of a mountain peak.  Stunning. The water was melting off of the glacier, turning into these gorgeous, long waterfalls, and then freezing in mid-air and solidifying before they could even hit the rock below.  We were a bit away from them, but that is pure safety reasons.  You wouldn't want to be anywhere near the glacier when one of those chunks fell off (and they do, every couple of minutes or so).

This hanging bridge goes over...
...this running river. (The hanging glacier is in the upper middle of the picture...
Only 80 Meters and 20 minutes away {inside joke}...It's really a 2 hour hike)



The waterfalls always look a bit fuzzy due to the water solidifying in air.

We all made it!

And then we went home and slept for the next day!  Not really, but I think I could have.  All this getting up early, travelling and hiking had me exhausted.  What to do about it?  Go to the spa, naturally!







B and MadHatter took Nana and Grampa on another hike while Stinkerbell and I sat in our room while she napped.  Nothing too much to write about - more to see in pictures.  And that is what the Lodge and Spa was all about.  Going at your own pace, seeing what you wanted to see, and just enjoying yourself.  And enjoy we did.

I will finish this trip up with a recap of our final day - the Catamaran trip to San Rafael Lagoon.




















No comments:

Post a Comment