Tuesday, April 30, 2013

When the Cat's Away...

While we were doing this last week, the girls were at home in Santiago with Nana and Grampa.  It wasn't the first time we had left the girls with them but it was for the longest stretch of time.  We had never been gone more than 5 days and we had never been gone over the weekend.  And this time we were going to be gone two weekends.  In a row.  Ten full days.  In kid time that is an eternity.  I was a bit worried about how the girls would react.  Worried if they would behave.  Worried if they would drive Nana and Grampa to distraction.  Worried that they would cry, whine and miss us so much that they wouldn't enjoy the experience of having their grandparents all to themselves, to spoil them rotten, for 10 days.

I needn't have worried.

Now, I can't say exactly what they did, or how they behaved, or if they even missed us.  I wasn't here after all.  All I have is their word that they were good and a few pictures that Grampa took during their adventures.  I have heard the story of them going to McD's, Dunkin Donuts and then for Cotton Candy, all in one afternoon, more than once.  I learned that Stinkerbell likes tea and MadHatter really doesn't.  I have evidence that they went to the park, walked the dog and visited a new zoo.  But most of all, I had two very happy little girls to come home to.  Little girls that couldn't stop talking about their adventures and their time with their grandparents.

I know how lucky I am to have parents that have the means and the ability to take the time out of their lives for three weeks and basically move in to my house.  And I know how blessed the girls are to have grandparents that will readily drop everything in their lives to spend time with them.  They aren't old enough yet to understand how special that is.  But I do.

Thanks Nana and Grampa.  Big thanks.  You just left a couple of hours ago and the girls are already asking when you will be back.













No comments:

Post a Comment