Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fiestas Patrias

According to the law signed into effect by Congress in 1967, all private citizens must fly the Chilean flag at their residence on May 21st (Navy Day) and the 18th & 19th of September (Independence Day and Armed Forces Day, respectively).  And ONLY these days.  Private citizens may NOT fly the flag any other day of the year.  Or they will be fined.  And if they do not fly the flag on the three days allowed by law they will be fined.  I don't know if it was strictly enforced or not but I know that I really don't want to be on the wrong side of the Carabineros (Chile's police force).   And it is a moot point now that President PiƱera has signed into law the fact that the flag may now be flown any day of the year.

Which is a good thing.  MadHatter doesn't care about laws and when I can and cannot fly the flag.  She has decided she is more Chilean than American at this point and is fiercely proud of her "country".  I was instructed that she needed a small flag to take to school with her and practice her assembly songs, she would need one for each car, one for the playroom and would like a large one for the house.  I kind of complied by buying her a multi-pack that they sell for Fiestas Patrias (the 5 day weekend we are currently in the middle of).  She got her car flags (though they both ended up on my car as B would have none of it by putting one on his), the small flags for the playroom and of course the one she has carried everywhere with her since I brought it home.

It's fun to see my kids celebrating their adopted land.  They are excited about the celebrations.  They sing patriotic songs around the house.  They can tell me all about the flower of Chile - the Copihue.  They make traditional empanadas - Pina.  They celebrate Chile's victories and mourn their losses as if they were happening in real time.  And they love it.

The truth of the matter is I love it.  I love that they are getting to experience this and learn so intimately  about another culture.  They aren't just reading about it in a book, they are living it.  Living life just as any other child growing up in Chile does and that is priceless.  Their experiences are shaping how they will look at the world and its population as they get older.  They will form their opinions by drawing on an expanded world view and first hand knowledge.  It is what B and I wanted for them when we embarked on this adventure.  And it is very satisfying (and uplifting) to see your hopes and dreams for your children come to fruition.  It makes the challanges worth it.

I have two little American Chilenitas.

{And as I think about it - Stinkerbell has now lived almost exactly half of her life here in Chile}








 













No comments:

Post a Comment