Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cobalt

File this under things that don't happen everyday.  Or even once in a lifetime.  But it happened yesterday morning and I think I am still in a bit of disbelief.  


This beautiful newborn foal fell at my feet yesterday.  Almost literally.  I was leaving my girlfriend K's house with my girls and a friend of theirs.  I was buckling the three of them into the car and was moving from one side to the other to help Stinkerbell.  I looked up the street and saw this baby filly walking, rolling, standing up and then falling over the 3 foot retaining ledge.  She landed in the street about 15 yards from where I was standing in disbelief.  She got up on her wobbly legs and made it to the other side of the road where she laid down again.  

I told all the girls to stay put.  I wasn't going far but I did make sure that D's daughter knew where I was going and how to keep me in sight.  There was a horse on the loose after all - even if it was a scared baby.  I didn't have far to walk to reach the foal and I checked to see that she was ok.  All seemed to be in order but I wasn't about to get too close - she may be a baby but she is still a horse and stronger than I am on my best day.  I snapped this picture and walked back to K's house.  I wanted the picture so that we could show it to someone in case she got up and wandered away.

I rang the bell and told K what had happened.  She was about to call her neighborhood security but it just so happened as I was walking back up the street the security van drove right up.  In my Spanglish, I told him the best I could what had happened.  And then it got interesting...

He proceeded to stand the filly up, put his hands tightly around her neck to stabilize her (and keep her from being able to move her head around to nip at him I suppose), and start walking her up the street to the gate that surrounds the open ranch land that surrounds our entire city.  (Side note - before Lo Barnechea was civilized about 15 years ago, it was a working ranch.  Part of it still is.  So it isn't unusual to see horses walking down the street or grazing off the side of the road.  It is unusual to have them fall at your feet).

K and I helped the security guard walk the foal about 50 yards down the street.  And then our first big challenge.  The land was gated off and we had no keys.  Thankfully the big iron gate had a large square opening in it that we thought we could get through.  The security guard stepped through first and K and I gently, but surely, shoved the filly through.  Hurdle jumped.  We thought the baby could use a bit of a rest at this point.  K and I certainly needed one.  So, we all rested for a bit...

If you look very closely you can still see the umbilical cord.
We were ready to get moving again and realized the security guard wasn't there.  Seems he had located the Mama up the hillside a ways and was off to bring her down.  He came back a few minutes later with the Mama on a leash (his belt) and led her to where we had finally gotten her filly.  But now we had another obstacle - the barbed wire fencing that separated the two.  Mama was very happy to see her baby.  Not so happy to see us with her.  She was a bit agitated but calmer than I would have been if it was my child.  As the security guard had his hands full keeping Mama from coming through the barbed wire, K and I were in charge of somehow getting the baby to the other side.  We finally pulled up the bottom wire as far as we could, ducked the baby's head low to the ground and shoved.  It probably wasn't pretty but at least they were reunited.  Which calmed everyone down.


Very happy to be on the same side of the fence again. (and there is some of that barbed wire fencing in the top corner)

We watched for a minute and it seemed like the baby really wanted to nurse.  After all that work of being born and rolling down a hill and then being shoved through 2 fences, she had probably worked up a good thirst.  But she couldn't seem to figure out how to nurse.  So we tried to help.  And after a bit we were successful.





 We stayed around for a bit.  Mostly to rest.  That was a lot of hard work.  And then we brought the little kids up to see what the commotion was about.  They were all kept behind the barbed wire fence and were so excited to see such a little baby up close.  They even decided on a name for her - Cobalt.  Almost the exact color of her eyes.

After a bit I ushered the girls back to the car.  We had to get D's daughter back home (they were moving back to the U.S. last night - didn't want her to get left behind).  Before we left Mama had a few words for us - either thanks or please get lost - and she and her baby were off to live their lives.  Hopefully with a little less excitement.

Can't tell what she is saying but I think she was happy.

The last picture shows the distance we had to take her.  We started on the road, up to the left, just off of what you can see in this picture.  And that is the first fence we had to get her through (to the left of the guard tower).  We then had to get her up this rocky path to the barbed wire fence which is about 5 feet behind me.

It was an exciting morning to be sure.  And such an experience for the girls (and for me).

This precious baby was so lucky not to have been hurt, we were so lucky to have had the security guards help and I am so glad I was in the right place at the right time.  I just hope and pray that those two are safe.  And together.



No comments:

Post a Comment