Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Family Pictures

Sometime last year I realized that we didn't have any "formal" pictures of the whole family.  Yes, I know, we have a million and one pictures of the kids.  And a bunch of the dog, and B, and the kids.  We even have a few with me in them.  And yes, I also know that we have a Christmas Card picture taken every year.  But that is taken by me, or a friend, if there is one proficient with a camera.  That isn't the same thing.  The last time we hired someone to take our pictures was back when MadHatter was 6 months old.  Seeing as she was pushing 6 years old, I thought it was about time.   And we thought it would be nice to have some pictures taken in Santiago, in a place we loved and overlooked the city, to remember our time there. 

Now I just needed to find a photographer.  And not just a friend with a camera, a real photographer.  

I came across a few in my research and I went to each web page and checked each one out.  I wanted to see whose style and vibe would work best with what we were going for.  Which was casual, candid and carefree.  I was getting a bit discouraged and then I found Kyle.  Instantly, I knew I had found the right person.  I was just hoping that she would do family sessions as she is a wedding photographer.  And, if she would do them, would she actually be in the country sometime in 2013.  After a bunch of back and forth emails we had a date - just 2 1/2 weeks away!  I had to get moving on clothing choices...

Shopping in Chile is challenging enough, trying to get 4 outfit coordinated and yet not matchy-matchy, that would compliment each individual and their personality, was going to be interesting.  Luckily, I stumbled on the perfect dress for MadHatter in the first place I went to and built the rest of our looks around it.   And I finished just in the nick of time the day of the shoot literally picking up my belt with only hours to spare.

The afternoon of the photo shoot I was patiently waiting for MadHatter to get home from school so that I could start getting ready.  I like to do my hair and makeup last minute because it only lasts so long.  Especially my hair.  I had the timing down perfectly - MadHatter home at 3:00, shower and get ready, girls started at 4 and out the door at 4:20.  

Of course, that was the day that MadHatter went missing.

As I waited and waited and waited for her bus to bring her home I started getting nervous.  Not because I was running out of time to get ready, but because my 5 year old was over half an hour late coming home.  I called my girlfriend M and asked if her kids were home.  Yep.  All of them were and MadHatter was not on the bus. (I found out later they split them up that day).  A bit of panic sets in.  I call the school and get a 12 year old answering the elementary school receptionists phone.  She has no idea where the receptionist is but if I need to talk to the bus people, here is their phone number.  Now annoyed and panicked.

I call the bus line and no one answers.  I call again.  And again.  Finally I call the security guard at the school.  He doesn't speak English and I am now annoyed, panicked and angry, and my Spanish seems to be leaving my memory at a rapid rate.  We finally get to understanding each other and what has happened and he is getting all of her information.  When we get to the part that she is just 5 and missing, he gasps.  And works a bit faster.  He finally has all of her information and is about to put out a bulletin when my doorbell rings.  

MadHatter is home.  And she is only an hour late.

So what happened?  They had a teacher/staff/security appreciation day and they were all enjoying a party.  That is why no one was answering any phones.  But it also meant that the whole school was let out at the same time, instead of their usual staggered release.  Which meant that the buses all had at least twice as many kids on them to drop off.  Hence her being late.

Long story long,  I was just relieved she was home. But was now in a huge rush to get everyone ready and be at our location in time.  Being late wouldn't be a problem except we were doing sunset pictures and if the sun set, we would have to reschedule.  And with Kyle travelling so much, we probably couldn't do it before the end of the year.  

Who's idea was this anyway???

We got in the car just a few minutes past the time we should have left, made it down the hill into Santiago, and promptly stopped in traffic.  We had all forgotten there was a very important soccer match that Chile was playing today which meant everyone was leaving work early to catch it.  Rush hour started much earlier and was much more congested than normal.  What should have taken us 20 minutes, took us 45.  Ugh.  Who needs family pictures?

But then we got there.  And Kyle was so light and fun and friendly that the girls warmed up to her instantly.  And so did I.  The stress of the day just flew away and we spent the next hour or so taking a ton of fun pics.  All in all, the stress of the day was worth it when you see the beautiful images she captured.  

But I still don't think I will do it again for awhile.  Maybe when we are leaving Prague?











































No comments:

Post a Comment