Friday, December 13, 2013

Why I Elf on A Shelf

The ubiquitous ELF.  You know the one, he shows up some time between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve and watches your every move.  And magically this elf flies back to the North Pole each night to report if the family (usually the littles) have been naughty or nice.  If you know nothing of the Elf, read here because you need to be caught up to read the rest of this post.

The whole phenomenon started about 8 years ago and has been growing in popularity ever since.  What started as simply placing the elf each night and having it watch from one spot all day, and then moving it again to the next spot, has now evolved into placing the mischievous elf (and they all seem to be very mischievous) into ever increasingly elaborate scenarios and then posting fun pictures of the elf online.  And this is what has the internet up in arms.

There is a huge, and growing, backlash against the elf.  Some take the stance that by creating elaborate scenes for the elf and then posting the pictures online that we are engaging in the Mommy Wars a la "look what I do, and better than you" type. Some say that the elf is just creepy and actually psychologically damaging to children (article).  Some wish they had the time to keep up with the elf, some choose not to do it for religious reasons and some just say bah humbug to everything during the season.  To each his own.  But after reading the above article that told me that I was only doing this to be able to Facebrag about it, that I am damaging my children with "developmentally inappropriate" traditions and worst of all, that I am perpetuating the Mommy Wars by participating, I had to respond.

Yes, we choose to elf  (yep, a new verb).

We started the tradition last year because up until then the girls were just too young to appreciate the elf.  And yep, dare I say it, the time and effort that goes into it.  Because I knew if I was going to elf, I was going to ELF!  I was going to make sure that the girls really got into it because why else bother?  I knew that once I started there was no going back.  I knew that for 24 days (our elf shows up on December 1) I was going to have one more thing to do each and every day.  I went into it with my eyes wide open, my Pinterest account at my fingertips and a plan.

Yes, a plan.  I have to have one or it all would fall apart about day 3.  Sometime in about mid-October, I start looking for ideas, thinking of scenarios and keeping a list.  I write them down in my free time and some time in late November I put together all 24 days of Fidget (our elf).  I keep in mind where we are going to be because, being expats, we usually travel back to the U.S. this time of year, and I make sure that the visits away from home require less paraphernalia.  If any of my scenarios need props (which few of them do) I make sure they are ready and handy.  See, I don't want to spend a lot of time each night on this.  I am just as tired as any other mommy by day's end and the last thing I want to do is elf at night.  (That almost sounds naughty and like a whole other post).  I make sure I am prepared and ready.  Nothing I have on my list takes more than 5 minutes to set up and snap a picture of...

This was the list I made in November -


And I have stuck to it.

But I still haven't told you why I Elf on a Shelf...

Why, when I have so little free time each day do I take even 5 minutes out and stage a doll?  Why add one more thing to do in an already hectic season? Why do I do it?

  • I do it because there is such a short time that my children will believe in the magic of Christmas.  And there is a magic to Christmas.  There is a magic to a fat man in a suit that flies all around the world guided by flying reindeer and delivers presents that a small army of elves have helped him make.  The longer I can keep their faith in this, perhaps the easier it will be to shape their faith in other things.
  • I do it because the joy in their voices, the smiles on their faces and happiness in their hearts is palpable when they see Fidget.
  • I do it because their joy is my joy.
  • I do it because they live far, far, far away from family and we don't celebrate the holidays in our own home most years.  Fidget is the one thing that follows them as they are uprooted during the holidays.  It gives them just a little bit of reassurance that if Fidget can find them each day, no matter where they happen to wake up, then the big guy won't forget them on Christmas Eve either.  
  • I share the adventures of Fidget on Facebook and Instagram, not to show that I am Mom of the Year, but because my family is so far away.  They do not get to see the girls on a daily basis or even talk to them all of the time.  By hitting send on an Instagram photo and attaching it to facebook, I can reach them all in one fell swoop.  Yep, I could put it on my private photo site, but that then that would require everyone to check it.  That is a lot to ask of my 88 year old grandfather...(and yes, he is on facebook).  It lets them share in a little bit of the magic.
  • I do it because it takes me back to a time of my own innocence.  An innocence that I get to see in them each and every day when Fidget is here.
  • I do it because I am still a kid at heart and believe in the magic and wonder of the season.  
  • I do it because I like to be creative and I like sharing that with my kids.
  • I do it because in this crazy expat life we live at least one thing is constant.  Each and every year, on December 1, Fidget shows up, pulling her pranks and moving around the house.  And, just to clarify, we have never told the kids she watches to see if they are bad or good.  We have never used her as our eyes and ears to Santa.  We do not use her to "shape up" their behavior.  She is their friend.  One who makes messes they can't and doesn't get in trouble.  One who gets to play at night and do nothing all day.  A friend that they talk to when they think I am not watching.  I grew up with a Santa that watched me sleep (which does seem a bit creepy) but there are more kids in the world now and Santa sometimes needs some help - don't we all?
  • I do it because I hope that it creates memories.  And stories.  And a bond that we can talk about when we are planning what their kids elves will do some day...
  • But most of all I do it because I love it.  And because they love it.  Isn't that what it all comes down to in life - doing what you love?  What brings joy to you and your family?  


If you choose not to elf - I respect that.  But I also ask that you respect my right to elf.

Now, on to what Fidget has been up to at our house...

December 1 - Sunbathing since we were at the beach.
 
December 2 - Getting her photocopy on...

December 3 - A photo shoot with her  Lego pal, but what for?

December 4 - Ah, what all of those pictures were for!

December 5 - St. Nick (a day early) and a Gingerbread train.

December 6 - getting all caught up in her own antics!

December 7 - Getting caught red handed taking money from the piggy bank.
 
December 8 - She built a DVD house.

December 9 - She set up a salon and painted some nails.

December 10 - Playing with Dominoes.
December 11 - Circling her wish list of toys from the catalog.

December 12 - Playing with markers.  On the eggs.  In the fridge.

December 13 - She Elf-napped their school clothes and left them these outfits instead!








No comments:

Post a Comment