Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Stage Fright

MadHatter is a performer.  She is a dancer and she is a singer and she is definitely an actress.  An Oscar worthy one when it involves something she really just has to have/do/make...Right. This. Minute. I have witnessed her choreograph elaborate dance routines and then try to teach them to her mother, who definitely has two left feet and not a single gene for rhythm.  She makes up songs throughout the day about almost anything, mostly about what she is day dreaming about, though I have heard many a song about what we are eating for dinner.  Madhatter is an entertainer and combined with her wicked imagination, it is rare that a day goes by without her involving us all in her show.  And I say this, not to brag (though I do think she is super), but because it never fails to amaze me that this girl, the one that can't stop dancing and singing at home, stops dead in her tracks when asked to do either in front of more than 3 people.  Exhibits A, B and C...

It is Chilean Independence Day (also known as Dieciocho).  As the name implies, it falls on the 18th, which is almost 2 weeks away, though this will not stop the Chileans from celebrating today.  And tomorrow.  And for the next two weeks (I will get into that as we get closer to the holiday to end all holiday's).  Today, the MadHatter's school had a Fiesta to celebrate.  All the kids got dressed up in their traditional Chilean clothing, prepared snacks to share, and invited their parents, grandparent's and siblings to come to school and celebrate in true Chilean style.  They sang songs, they told stories, they danced.
  
And by they, I mean everyone but MadHatter.  She smiled and looked oh so cute in her Chilean outfit, 


but did not make a single noise...  Her stage fright is so cute at this age.  I just hope she doesn't carry it with her forever.  I know firsthand how awful it can be to be painfully shy as a kid, and I don't wish it upon her. 

When we got home, she wanted to see the pictures and watch herself on video, so we sat down at the computer and reviewed the fun we had at the Fiesta.  And wouldn't you know it, she sang along to all the songs, got up and showed me each dance and even told me all about the national flower (which she is impersonating in the picture to the left).  
I think we had even more fun the second time.  I know I did, because this time I got to participate and dance with my favorite dancer!  Hope you enjoy the short clips - my camera and video camera are still on life support...







No comments:

Post a Comment