Thursday, March 28, 2013

Hace Dos Anos

{This is my first bi-lingual post.  It will be in Spanish first.  A small nod to the fact that we have now been in Chile for two years, as of today.  It is a small glimpse into what I have learned - both about this country, about myself and about this language.  When I consider that I did not speak more than a couple of words of Spanish two years ago (really, couldn't conjugate a single verb) I realize I have come a long way.  But I also know that being here for two years is a blink of an eye and that I still have so much to learn.  In more than just the language department.  It has been a journey.  Not always easy and it has not always been fun, but it has been an adventure.

The Spanish part of this post has been written off the top of my head, as are most of my posts.  I did not us a dictionary.  I did not go to Google translate. It is nothing more than my own words in Spanish.  I have not had anyone proof it so there will be mistakes.  It comes with the territory.  When I write in English I write the way I talk.  I cannot do that in Spanish because I do not know nearly as many words and my slang doesn't translate.  It wasn't easy writing this in a foreign language.  But it was much easier than trying to speak in that same language because I had all the time in the world to find the right words.  The right conjugations   And I could go back and proof it myself - not at all how it works when you are face to face in a conversation.  So don't let this bit of written prose give you the impression that my Spanish is great, or even good...

The English part is what I hope the Spanish part says. There will be some mistakes in my Spanish, so be it...there are probably a lot of mistakes in the English too...}

Hace dos años comenzamos un viaje. No fue sólo un cambia de distancia, pero un cambio de un estilo de vida. Un cambio de ubicación, seguro, pero también un cambio de actitud. Un cambio en la forma en que vivimos nuestras vidas y cómo nos relacionamos con el mundo. Empezamos una nueva vida, como una familia, en un lugar fuera de nuestra zona de confort y sabíamos que sería duro. Y luego, un poco más fácil. Y luego sería nuestra normal. Y lo ha hecho. Hemos pasado dos años y, a veces, aún parece que fue ayer.

A veces, miro atrás y lo parece como si estuviéramos sentados en nuestra casa en California, hablando de si esto sería lo mejor para nosotros, o si sería tirar todo fuera de nuestro control. (Sí, lo haría). Estábamos sentados en California, acercado de los amigos mejor, pero nos sentíamos tan solos. Debido a que la decisión de moverse más de 6000 kilómetros de su familia y amigos, la nuestra estaba solo. Nadie puede decidir por nosotros si sería mejor para mover todo y empezar de nuevo. No se movían por todo el país, sino en todo un hemisferio. Era mucho para considerar.  Había listas. Habia pros y contras. Había noches sin dormiendo. Pero al final, como todos ustedes saben, hemos tomado la decisión de moverse. Hemos convertido nuestras vidas al revés. Había razones positivas que hacer y los unicos aspectos negativos que encontramos eran nuestros propios miedos. Al final decidimos que el pro ha superado la contras. Queríamos pasar para que nuestros niños pudieran experimentar la vida en el mundo. Era hora de que mis hijas tener una idea de una vida fuera de los EE.UU. Una vida fuera del privilegio que hubiera crecido con en California. Ya era hora de que me acuerde de lo que era demasiado.

No ha sido difícil. Pero no ha sido fácil. Vivimos una vida privilegiada aquí. (lo conocemos).  Sin embargo, todavía no ha sido fácil. Nuestra vida es aumentar aqui pero, realmente, no compró más que cosas. Pone un techo sobre nuestro cabezas, la comida sobre nuestra mesa y permitir las vacaciones en nuestro calendario. Pero no puede hacerme sentir como en mi hogar. No se puede compensar el hecho de que la mayoría de la gente que quiero y confío en que somos un continente de distancia. No se puede escuchar a mí cuando me siento triste. No se puede aprender un idioma nuevo para mí.

Todavía me siento como un extraño aquí (pero creo que podría vivir aquí el resto de mi vida y todavía siente como un extraño) y, sin embargo, me siento muy bien acogidos. Es una captura 22.  He hecho buenos amigos, se despidió de algunos de ellos, y luego hizo más. Me mudé aquí con una guagua (o bebe fuera de Chile) y una hija pequeña. Me mudé con mucha aprensión y nervios como cuerdas ensartadas banjo (ok, that I had to look up in Google translate!). Pero he ajustado. He enviado mis dos hijas a la escuela. Y he visto como han aprendido dos idiomas.  Fluidez. Y he visto a adaptarse, mejor de lo que hubiera pensado, a una cultura totalmente nueva.

He aprendido como de hacer las compras en el supermercado, las reglas de la carretera y la forma de hacer las cosas consumado. He tenido muchos golpes y contusiónes en mi viajes aqui, pero creo que he aprendido mucho sobre mí mismo y lo fuerte que puede ser en la cara de un desafío. He aprendido que hay cosas que nunca se utilizan para acá - la falta de servicio al cliente, el hecho de que no se puede manejar en una pista en cada momento y el tamaño de mi lavadora (muy pequenita). Pero también, he aprendido que algunas de las cosas que pensé que no podría vivir sin - platos de papel, un triturador de basura, una puerta de garaje - son todas las cosas que llegan a ser insignificante con el tiempo.

Soy mejor porque he mudado aquí. Mi familia es mejor por han mudado aquí.  Estamos prosperando cuando yo no sabía si se podría sobrevivir. Estamos contentos, estamos muy agradecidos y estamos viviendo neustra vida neuva.   Porque como empezamos nuestro tercer año en Chile, no sabemos si vamos a llegar a nuestro cuarto. Y no estamos listos para decir adiós... por el momento.

{ok - time for the English version...}

Two years ago we began a journey.  Not just a change in miles but a change in lifestyle.  A change in location, sure, but also a change in attitude.  A change in the way we lived our lives and how we interacted with the world.  We started a new life, as a family, in a place outside of our comfort zone and expected it to be hard.  And then a bit easier.  And then to become our normal.  And it has.  It has been two years and at times it still seems like just yesterday.

Sometimes, I look back and it stills seems like we were sitting in our house in California, talking about whether this would be what was best for us, or if it would throw everything out of our control.  (Yes, it would).  We were sitting in California, surrounded by great friends, but felt so alone.  Because the decision to move over 6000 miles from family and friends, was ours alone.  No one could decide for us if it would be best to pick it all up and start all over.  We weren't moving across the country, but across an entire hemisphere.  It was a lot to take in.  There were lists.  There were pro's and con's.  There were sleepless nights.  But in the end, as you all know, we made the choice to move.  We turned our lives inside out and upside down.  There were so many positive reasons to do so and the only negatives we could find were our own fears seeping through.  In the end we decided that the pro's outweighed the con's.  We wanted to move so that our children could experience living in the world.  It was time for both of my daughters to get a feel for a life outside of the U.S.  A life outside of the privilege they would have grown up with in California. It was time for me to remember what it was like too.

I hasn't been hard.  But it hasn't been easy.  I know I live a privileged life here.  But it still hasn't been easy.  Money really doesn't buy you more than things. It puts a roof over my head, food on my table and vacations on my calendar.  But it can't make me feel at home.   It cannot compensate for the fact that the majority of the people I love and count on are a continent away.  It cannot listen to me when I am feeling sad.  It cannot learn a new language for me.

I still  feel like an outsider here (but I think I could live here for the rest of my life and still feel like an outsider) and yet, I feel very welcomed.  It's a catch 22.  I have made good friends, said goodbye to some of them, and then made a few more.  I moved down here with a baby and a toddler.  I moved with a lot of apprehension and nerves strung like banjo strings.  But I have adjusted.  I have sent both of my progeny off to school.  And I have watched as they learned two languages.  Fluently.  And I have watched them adapt, better than I would have ever thought, to a whole new culture.

I have learned the ins and outs of grocery shopping, the rules of the road, and how to get things accomplished.  I have had a lot of bumps and bruises along the way, but I think I have learned a lot about myself and how strong I can be in the face of a challenge.  I have learned that there are things I will never get used to here - the lack of customer service, the fact that no one can drive in one lane at any given time and the size of my washing machine (very small).  But I have also learned that some of the things that I thought I couldn't live without - paper plates, a garbage disposal, a garage door - are all things that become insignificant with time.

I am better because I have moved here.  My family is better for having moved here.  We are thriving when I didn't know if we could even survive.  We are happy, we are grateful and we are soaking it all in.  Because as we begin our third year in Chile, we don't know if we will make it to our fourth.  And we aren't ready to say goodbye just yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment