Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Who's up for a game of Charades?

There is actually a Competitive Charades Tournament.  It is held in Austin, Texas and the next time I go see my parents, I may just make sure that the visit coincides with the competition.  You think I jest...I would have thought so too a couple of weeks ago.  But in the past five weeks (exactly the amount of time I have been in Chile), I have gotten so good at playing charades that I might have a shot at the title.  Wanna be my partner?  No one here seems to want to play with me on a regular basis, except Nani, and I suspect that is only because she lives in my house and hasn't found a way to escape yet.

It wouldn't be so bad if my Spanglish was more Span than glish.  We will work on that.  In the meantime it does provide for some funny moments, and some embarassing, but I have always been able to laugh at myself so really it is mostly just funny.  Like the other afternoon - I needed to get out of the house and I decide to take the girls with me.  People seem to be more forgiving of my attempts at communication when there are 2 little girls that alternate between looking confused and laughing when Mama's hands are flying around and pointing at things and generally just making a fool of herself.  We had gotten our errands done after having to mime the words "I need concrete nails" and "where do I find the dog nail clippers" and it was nearing lunch time.  As a treat, I decide that I am going to pick up some Burger King for the girls on the way home.  I can handle the drive through, I think.  I did the drive through at McDonald's just fine when my parents were here.  So, I pull up to the box and the man on the other end asks me what I would like, at least I think that is what he is asking.  In the U.S. they sound like the teacher from Peanuts...waah wahhh wa wahhh wah.  It is a whole other level of not understanding when you are talking in a foreign language.  I listen as hard as I can...and I freeze. I suddenly realize that I am not at McDonald's where I can order a "Cajita Feliz".  You simply cannot order a Happy Meal at Burger King.  That would be like going to In N Out and ordering a Big Mac...you can do it but you aren't getting it.  So now I am stuck and I can hear every spanish word I do know giggling as they fly right out of my brain.  I quickly try to search for the equivalent of a happy meal or a kids menu on the board in front of me, but there is just nothing there that I can make sense of.  I do the only thing I can do and pull through to the window and try to enlist the order taker in a game of charades.  Nothing doing.  He either wasn't in the mood for the Gringa with the hands flying or he just doesn't know good charades playing when he sees it.  What is left for me to do?  I say a hasty Adios and high tail it to McD's (or Mr. Donalds according to my oldest) and order "Dos Cajita Feliz con Nuggets, papas fritas y jugo naranja".  There are some places that charades just doesn't work and the drive through is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment