Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bubbilicious...

Today was MadHatter's first lip smacking day.  She decided she was finally ready to chew some gum.  Big day in our house.  Somehow, probably about 4 years ago, I set the rule that children needed to be the big five to chew gum in our house.  She has been talking about that day since she turned 3 1/2.  As we got closer and closer to five, she has gotten more and more excited.  And then, it was upon us.  She was about 10 days out from the moment of truth and she tells me that maybe it's too early.  That maybe she should be six.  Because she didn't think she could remember to not swallow the gum.  That maybe she wouldn't remember not to play, run and jump when she had gum in her mouth.  That maybe, just maybe, she would be more able to remember when she was six.  And I respected her decision, even as I chuckled a bit.  Because my children are sooooo different.  Stinkerbell would never have put this off;  she would have just jumped in head first.  Even though she would have swallowed it within seconds.  My oldest is a thinker.  A processor.  A worrier.

Today she worked through it all.  In her own time.  In her own space.

And I am so proud of her for working through it all for herself.  It's one of the hardest things we do as parents.  Letting our kids grow, and think and make decisions all on their own.  Not on our timeline.  Not based on our thought processes.  Not based on what we think but based on what they, and only they, know to be true about themselves.

Big day.  For both of us, I think.  And I am proud to report, that gum was spit out in my hand just before she headed in to bath time    She told me, "I am done with this first piece Mama.  But that doesn't mean I am always going to be this good at remembering.  I bet I swallow a piece or two but this time, I didn't.  Aren't you proud, Mama?"

Oh, baby girl, ALWAYS.





No comments:

Post a Comment