Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hoppin' Down the Bunny Trail

Here comes Peter Cottontail,
Hoppin' down the Bunny Trail,
Hippity, Hoppity,
Easter's on its way.

Nothing says let's bring out the glitter, glue and scissors like Easter approaching.  O.K. maybe that is an overstatement.  Because just about anything is an excuse to bring out the craft supplies when you have two toddlers.  But having an excuse - and a timely project - is always more fun.  So, as Stinkerbell was taking a nap this afternoon and MadHatter was in quiet time (watching a movie on the boob tube), I searched my brain for a fun craft.  I could have searched the internet, but that isn't as much fun sometimes.  And a couple of ideas struck...We could make bunny noses, we could dye eggs, we could draw life size bunnies, we could make foam eggs, we could...we could...we could.  (Easter really does have a lot of great craft ideas and this was all off the top of my head.  Think what would have happened if I had gone to Pinterest!)

My kids are still pretty little, which means limited attention spans so I had to keep the structured crafting to a maximum of two projects.  I was intrigued by the idea of making bunny noses so that was going to be our first project.  Not because they wanted to but because I thought it would be a lot of fun.  Sometimes it just works that way.  And I thought that they would look so cute with little bunny noses.

So MadHatter and I gathered the supplies...

We needed an egg carton for the noses. 

Pipe cleaners for the whiskers, long string to tie it around their pretty little heads, and puffy balls for the noses.
And I needed some great models for the noses, once completed.  MadHatter brought the ears down from her playroom.  She was one step ahead of Mama on this one!

And we colored our noses.  Some concentrated really hard on coloring the outside.  Some dashed off a few spots of color on the inside.  Creative license being what it is, both were perfect just as they were!


We chose our noses next.  Stinkerbell went with a classic pink very
decisively.  MadHatter, on the other hand, tried on all different colors
and sizes before settling on bright red in a medium.



Mom had to add the finishing touches as the holes that I punched for the pipe cleaner whiskers were a bit small and hard to see.  But each girl got to pick out her whisker colors and her tie color.  (These are important decisions, after all).

And finally it was time to try them on!  Oh what fun we had!  And they could not have been any cuter.  Especially when the ears had to come out to complete the look...




My little bunny foo-foo's!


And then MadHatter asked for bunny teeth.  Who was I to say no???



They were still begging for more.  So we stated craft #2.  Happy Easter signs made out of foam stickies.

I drew the eggs and the letters on them and then let them have their way with them...






And they still weren't done!  So I let them have a free for all with the crafting supplies.  My grass glitters a bit more brightly tonight but so does my soul.  It was a fun afternoon...maybe we can try all of my other Easter ideas tomorrow...

Glue.  Can I touch it?  {No}

Can I sniff it? {No.}
Well, then I just don't want to use it!



 She learned to cut with scissors awhile back.  And loves to practice.  The funniest thing I heard all day involved this exact pair, in fact.  She is serious about her cutting.  She is also serious about taking a break every five minutes and running around the yard.  (It get's the wiggles out).  She asks me, "Mom, can I run with scissors?".  I almost couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell her no.  Talk about a cliche coming out of the mouths of babes.

And MadHatter was hard at work constructing a treasure map.  When I inquired what treasure we would find at the end of her map, she informed me it was a fishing hole - "A place we could fish for dinner and relax at the same time".

I love our crafting days!



2 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh!!! So cute. They are so big and adorable! We miss you guys over here. By the way, love the craft idea!

    Karina Donahue

    ReplyDelete