Friday, August 19, 2011

Holy Snowstorm Batman!

It really was a snowstorm.  Not just one of those smatterings of snow that get blown into snowstorm proportions by people who don't see snow very often, or ever.  I know snow.  I am very intimately involved with snow having lived with 6 month winters for well over 14 years of my life (OK, so 6 months may be an exaggeration, but when you are living them, they seem even longer). 

It started with a rainy day and a temperature that just couldn't keep itself north of 1 celcius.  I picked up a girlfriend on my way to drop the MadHatter off at school and we both commented on how the weather felt just like it did before an Illinois winter storm.  Lo and behold, about an hour later - it was sleeting.  That wonderful snow/rain mixture that just makes you want to stay at home in bed until it all goes away.  And by goes away, I mean melts and not even the residual runoff water is visible.  Luckily, the sleet only lasted about 20 minutes and gave way to some of the biggest, wettest, fluffiest snowflakes I have ever seen in my life!



 It was gorgeous (if you could just get past the fact that it was August and snowing) and the girls, the dog and I had a blast playing outside in it.




It lasted for 4 1/2 hours.  Long enough to coat everything in about an inch of pure whiteness.  Long enough for me to get a taste, and remember that I don't want to be in the middle of winter right now.  My body is telling me that I should be in the Northern Hemisphere soaking up sun in August.  It just isn't built for two winters in a row without a summer thrown in.  So today I am off to the Caribbean for a vacation with the family.  Great timing, if I do say so myself.  See you guys in two weeks!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment